Monday, March 5, 2012

Towards Jerusalem

This track comes from the 1990 cassette album Intersecting Circles. By this time my recording setup had expanded a little, I was now using my own TEAC 4-track cassette recorder, synced to my Commodore 64 running a Cakewalk MIDI sequencing program. This allowed me to sync keyboard and drum machine parts with the acoustic instruments for a less degraded sound (rather than having to do what was known as bouncing down the tracks, something I had to do on Eclectic Images). The tracks were recorded in my basement, with blankets strung up to create some sound baffles.  It was not a very professional looking setup, but it did the trick.


Throughout this entire project I was able to work with two great musician friends, Bob Howey on woodwinds, and Akira Murotani on trumpet. (Since that time both of these guys went on to get their Doctor's degree in Music Studies, Dr. Robert Howey is currently an instructor at Grand Prairie Regional College in Alberta, and Dr. Akira Murotani is currently an instructor at Goshen College and a member of the Fort Wayne Philharmonic Orchestra in Indiana.)  They not only played on all the tracks, but they co-composed a number of them (though Towards Jerusalem is my own composition).

The title refers to a passage from the Gospel of Luke, chapter 9, verse 51 "...he set his face to journey towards Jerusalem"  This song is an example of what I call cinematic music - it is based on specific images that would play in my mind as I created the music.  In this case the imagined scenes have Jesus traveling towards Jerusalem and ultimately his crucifixion (listen at the end of the song for my musical reference to that event).  The melody is based on a minor falling motif suggesting sorrow, but the background is filled with a mixture of energy and mystery reflecting the mixed emotions displayed by the disciples during these final days traveling with Jesus.  Such were my thoughts as I put this music together. However, each listener is welcome to their own interpretation.

A couple other things to note about this track: This is one of my first recorded examples of what I call ambient guitar. I'm not much of a guitarist, but I have always been fascinated with creating unusual textural sounds using that instrument.  Also at the beginning of the track Bob plays a bamboo flute that my brother James had recently brought back as a gift for me from his trip to China. The gift from a journey seemed appropriate to use in this song.

On this track:
Dennis Hendricksen: Keyboards, Drum Programming, Percussion, Electric Guitar
Bob Howey: Bamboo Flute, Clarinet
Akira Murotani: Trumpet
Mixed by Dave Fries at Cave Studios, Regina


No comments:

Post a Comment