Monday, March 12, 2012

Fire of Passion


“I came to bring fire to the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! I have a baptism with which to be baptized, and what stress I am under until it is completed!”
(Luke 12:49-50  NRSV)


The picture above was taken last fall at a Luther College Teacher retreat at Camp Lutherland situated in the beautiful Qu'appelle valley in southern Saskatchewan.  The fire pit at that camp is a large steel tube, with some cross designs cut out of it.  This image has the fire and embers framed by one of these cut outs.  I have given this image the name Fire of Passion because I think it suggests the pain and suffering endured by Christ in his final hours before his death.

Below is a picture of the whole fire pit taken the same evening.  These pictures were taken with my new (at the time) Nikon D7000.  Most astounding for me is that these were handheld shots (that would have been impossible with my old Canon AE-1 using slide film.  The combination of higher ISO and the Vibration Reduction technology of the new Nikon lens enabled such a clear shot in spite of being hand held.

2 comments:

  1. perhaps the kitschiest fire pit I have ever not seen in person

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being the self-confessed pyromaniac that I am, I did not notice the kitch - just the lovely flames. Have you never been on the Luther Staff retreat out at Lutherland? The best part of this evening wasn't even the fire, it was visiting with folks around the fire - felt downright tribalistic.

    ReplyDelete