Sunday, January 2, 2011

Night Watching - a Lament in Sonnet Form

Many years ago I was fortunate to be able to participate in a writers' workshop at Vancouver School of Theology led by the award-winning author Madeleine L'Engle. I was doubly fortunate to be one of the few selected from the larger group to have our work critiqued by Madeleine (this was done by lottery, not by quality of writing or any other criteria lest you get that impression). What a thrill to have one of my favourite authors make comments on my writing. This posting was one of the assignments: to write a poem, in sonnet form, based on something we had read in scripture recently. Madeleine returned the poem to me suggesting one word change (which I agreed with) and with her comment "beautiful ringing tone' written at the top - a cherished memory indeed. As Epiphany draws near it seems an appropriate time to put the poem on this blog.
______________

Night Watching - a Lament in Sonnet Form

I watch the Holy mystery of night
For signs that love still dwells within our midst.
With darkness 'round my soul, I seek your light,
And long to be embraced and Spirit kissed.

There was a time when love reflected all
The beauty of creation's certainty,
When human ears responded to your call
And joy was theirs, as full and wide the sea.

Yet choices made to turn our backs on you
have led to deep-felt loneliness, and worse,
We fill this world with bitterness and strife,
And struggle with the earth - our ancient curse.
Yet out of dust still comes the gift of life,
And stars still shine in spite of all we've done.
Your light surrounds us, good and gracious one.

No comments:

Post a Comment