Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Colours of Mercy


This stained glass window is behind the altar at the historic Bønsnes Kirke in the Ringerike municipality of Norway. My Grandfather grew up on a farm only a few kilometres from this historic church. According to tradition King Olav the Saint was born near the site of the church. The design of the stained glass work suggests a fairly recent creation, contrasted with the ancient thick wall of the church building. This is one of my favourite photos from a trip to Europe with my wife Beth in the summer of 2009. I titled the picture using the name of a song by the Norwegian pianist/composer Tord Gustavsen off his trio recording The Ground. (Photo taken by Dennis - June 30, 2009)

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful picture, Dennis. Did you take numerous shots with different exposures? Please don't tell me you got it right the first time.
    Nevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Nevin, I got it right the first time, but that was a bit of a fluke. One of the things I was not happy about from our trip were the number of pictures that didn't have the correct exposure on them - thus if I ever do a trip like that again I will be shooting digital. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Dennis,
    Beautiful picture!! We would like to use this photo for our annual Christmas card, which we shared as churches spread to our local citizens. We would like to share the Gospel with this card. So It is not for commercial use. Is this possible?
    Sincerely,
    Chris (The Netherlands)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Chris,
    I would be delighted to have you use my photo for your annual Christmas card. If you are able send one in the mail to me at:
    1725 Empress Street
    Regina, SK Canada
    S4T 5E9

    Thanks, and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Dennis,
    Thanks a lot!! We'll send you one when it's ready.

    Greetings,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Chris,
    I got the Christmas card in the mail yesterday. It is so beautiful, both the layout and the words, that it touched my heart. I am so happy to have my picture used this way. I like the idea of the card so much that I am going to suggest to create a similar card for the local churches where I service. Have a blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Dennis,
    We are not real bloggers so we didn't see your reply until now ... Thank you for your kind words, we have them forwarded to the participating churches.
    We wish you God's blessings in your work,
    with cordial greetings,
    Christiaan de Waal

    ReplyDelete