Wednesday, April 18, 2012

April Creation

This is a recording I dug out of my archives - it was created in the spring of 1982. The recording took place in the chapel at Lutheran Theological Seminary in Saskatoon and was made using an early cassette 4-track machine and some basic microphones (thus the sound quality is rather limited). I have never released this track to the public before. April Creation is an original composition. Thanks to Bruce Solsten and Rich Kaminski for lending me their equipment way back then.

The picture of the tulips is one I took in 1981.  Nothing like Kodachrome slide film to capture such deep reds.  I'm not sure where the picture was taken anymore, but something makes me think it was Ottawa.

Spring is a blessed time of year as the earth creates anew a great array of life: beautiful colours, fragrant aromas and a plethora of sounds.  Some of this springtime essence - life bursting forth with beauty, newness and hope is what I tried to capture in this music.

On this track:
Dennis Hendricksen: piano and keyboards
Garry Checora: percussion


3 comments:

  1. You realize then, that this song is roughly as old as I am?! Very cool, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listened to this while sitting in the sun at the top of a hill in the middle of a forest, the breeze blowing gently and the bumblebees buzzing. Perfect soundtrack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Dave and Echo. When I say the song is really old I'm not implying that you're old Dave :) And it's cool to think you were listening to this track in Japan Echo!

    ReplyDelete