Friday, September 30, 2011

The Heavens Declare

At the annual Study Conference for Clergy and Professional Lay Leaders for the Saskatchewan Synod, held in Manitou Springs this week, I was able to fulfill one of my life long hopes - to capture a display of Northern Lights with my camera. (If you click on the picture it should take you to a larger version of the image.) I was able to take a number of pictures before the display faded, but this one is my favourite.

The Aurora Borealis have been something that has touched my spirit since I first saw them as a teenager. (To read the whole story check out my earlier post Night Celebration). One of the portions of scripture that comes to mind every time I see a beautiful display of the Northern Lights is from Psalm 19. I share the words of that Psalm in connection with this image from the other night.


The heavens declare the glory of God;

the skies proclaim the work of his hands.

Day after day they pour forth speech;

night after night they display knowledge.

There is no speech or language

where their voice is not heard.

Their voice

goes out into all the earth,

their words to the ends of the world.

(Psalm 19:1-4a New International Version)

No comments:

Post a Comment