Sunday, November 6, 2011

A Little Pre-Service Ritual of Mine

Humans seem to need ritual, we engage in ritual action in many ways and many contexts – from religion to sports, from ancient to current, from communal to personal. It is interesting for me to learn of pre-game rituals developed by athletes – everything from listening to a certain type of music, to eating certain foods, to putting on part of their uniform a certain way. Some of these pre-game rituals seem silly, or even superstitious - others make sense as a way of helping the athlete mentally and physically prepare for the game.

There is a pre-service ritual that I use to prepare for leading worship, something I have done for many years now. I’m not sure exactly when I started this ritual or even where it came from - it is possible that it is something that I spontaneously did one Sunday and because it was helpful I have continued ever since. I have decided to share this ritual on this blog because I hope it will be helpful to others – for the parishioners who wonder what I’m doing up front on a Sunday morning, and for other clergy who might choose to make this ritual part of their pre-worship routine.

It has been the practice at Christ Lutheran Church for as long as I have been here (over a quarter century now) that prior to the worship service starting the pastors will kneel at the altar rail for a moment before beginning the service. It is safe to say that most people would assume the pastors are praying, but what exactly are they praying? This is where my ritual comes in.

When I kneel at the altar I close my eyes to block out as much distraction as possible, then I take a deep breath in – this is how the ritual begins. Once my lungs are full I begin to exhale slowly through my mouth – as I focus on my breath leaving my body I repeat in my mind these words “I empty myself that I might be filled by you.” This is my simple prayer, repeated in my mind until I have emptied myself, as much as possible, of my breath. Then I begin to breathe in slowly and fully through my nostrils - as I draw in this breath I silently pray the words “Fill me that I might serve you” repeating that prayer until my lungs are full again. When this breathing prayer is finished I rise from my kneeling position and begin the worship service.

This is the meaning I give my little ritual: By breathing out through my mouth I imagine getting rid of all “my stuff” – I do not want the worship I am responsible to lead filled with “my words, my motives, my needs.” I recall Jesus’ words “what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this is what defiles.” (Matthew 15:18) When I pray “I empty myself” these are the kinds of things I am thinking of.

For me the inward breath recalls the intimate scene in Genesis 2:7 where the Lord God formed man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life.” The life-giving Spirit is given through the nostrils, the breath of God filling us with life and love. This prayer then is an invitation for the Holy Spirit to fill me, to guide me, to use me – that my words and actions will be shaped by the inspiration of God’s Spirit.

The simple ritual prayer action now completed I stand centered in the presence of God, assured of the Spirit’s leading, and prepared to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with all who are gathered – I am ready, let the service begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment