Saturday, April 9, 2011

Father Dean Leads the Way


Today my father, Leslie Dean Hendricksen (known as Dean to most), celebrates his 75th birthday. Last month I celebrated my 25th anniversary of ministry at Christ Luthearn Church (more on that in another post). That means I am currently the age my father was when I became a pastor. That thought makes me shake my head - could it be possible that I'm as old as my dad was? But of course that's what happens when time keeps rolling along.

As far as I'm concerned my dad doesn't act like an old person (except for the fact that curling and coffee row has become a big part of his life the past couple of years). My dad loves nothing more than to learn something new, to get a new perspective on a subject - especially subjects around faith and church. He is not afraid to entertain new ideas, which is not to say he accepts every new idea that comes along, but he is willing to look at something with an honest, open and inquiring mind. Of the many characteristics that I share with my father (whether passed on through genetics or example) this is the one I am most pleased with. I am happy that my dad taught me to love learning and to continually grow in knowledge and understanding.

There is nothing my dad enjoys more than talking with people, picking up new information and new insights through conversation as well as observation. Next to that my dad most enjoys reading (and then talking about) books. Some people go to post-gradute studies then stop their learning when they enter the "real world". My dad has only known the "real world" (meaning he never got the opportunity to go to university) and yet his learning is more broad, more current than many with a university or seminary degree. I'm proud to have a father like that!

I have been blessed to have a father who has a passion for faith and life, who lives out grace and mercy, who encourages and celebrates the arts, and who is filled with understanding and humour. I thank God for being the son of such a man. The person I have become is in large part because of the person he is.

The picture above is of my dad during a trip to the Holy Land a few years ago. I thought the picture a bit symbolic, suggesting that just as the blessings of God were passed on to the descendants of Abraham, so too have the blessings of God been passed on my siblings and I through our father. He has blazed the path of faith before us, and we have benefitted from his life journey. We now are (hopefully) passing that wisdom and faith on to the next generation. For the blessings of God throughout the generations I am most grateful. Thanks Dad, and Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday, Dean, from a fellow euphonium player! That's how we met, remember? Playing in a pickup band Dennis scraped together at Christ Lutheran many moons ago.

    You are one of those people whom I've met only a couple of times yet feel so comfortable around. I feel I 'know' you. Such is your gift.

    Have a wonderful belated birthday.

    By the way, are camels very comfortable to ride? They don't look like they are.

    ReplyDelete