Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Devil's Tower or Place of Prayer?


Here is another picture featuring a unique geological formation with volcanic material appearing in hexagonal columns. This is the unfortunately named "Devil's Tower" located in north-eastern Wyoming. To the people of the Plains tribes this site was sacred, as evidenced by the many brightly colored pieces of cloth we found hanging in the trees around the base of the Tower: prayer cloths or prayer flags which are physical, symbolic representations of prayers put there by native people as part of their religious ceremonies. It seems that "Devil's Tower" was simply a bad translation of "Bear Lodge", but the white man's name stuck and now something sacred and awe-inspiring is known by a negative moniker.

Truth be told, I initially wanted to visit this site not for its beauty and wonder, but because it was featured in the film "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". However after driving for more than three hours in the worst thunderstorm I have ever been caught in, then camping near the base of this looming rock formation, back-lit by lightning and announced by the distant rumbling of thunder as the storm moved on - I forgot the magic of Hollywood special effects and soaked in the fullness of nature's grandeur. I sensed great power, but not evil, that memorable evening. I tried taking pictures of the formation lit by lightning (at the request of my wife Beth who thought I was too stressed out from driving in the storm to be helpful in setting up camp), however the night pictures did not turn out. The next day my family and I walked around the base of this massive column of rock (which rises over 1200 feet above the near-by river) and that's when I noticed two things: the prayer flags and the huge hexagonal columns which make up the formation (actually the columns can be anywhere from 4 to 7 sided). The columns found on Staffa Island (see the previous post) are similar in nature, though much smaller.

Simply walking in this beautiful setting, exploring this geological wonder from all angles, and enjoying the closeness of my own family made this visit an encounter of a special kind, an encounter of spirit and fellowship. For me this was truly a time and place of prayer. (Photo taken by Dennis August 1, 2005)

No comments:

Post a Comment